Bitwise»Forums
Per Vognsen
49 posts / 1 project
Hello, world!
Edited by Per Vognsen on
First post on our new forums here on Handmade Network!

I'll shut off comments on YouTube and funnel all open-ended discussion here. It will help us centralize redundant discussions in one place and it should help with community building in general.

A huge thank you to Abner and the other Handmade Network folks for making this happen.
Oswald Hurlem
59 posts / 1 project
Working on Swedish Cubes for Unity. You could say I'm a real blockhead!!
Hello, world!
Hello :)
Emanuel Huber
1 posts
Hello, world!
Hi people!
Miguel Lechón
78 posts / 2 projects
Hello, world!
Hi! (just making some noise)
Jeroen van Rijn
248 posts
A big ball of Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey _stuff_
Hello, world!
Smashing!

Welcome to our humble abode.

Back when we founded Handmade Network, I actually had plans for a project not all that dissimilar to Bitwise.
It was going to cover these topics:
- Designing an ISA
- Implementing an assembler targeting the ISA
- Implementing an emulator for a CPU with this ISA (possibly extending Bochs or Qemu for the rest of the hardware)
- Implementing a compiler backend (GCC or LLVM)
- and eventually porting Linux to our custom architecture
- if there was still interest, then the HDL/FPGA route

RISC-V kinda pre-empted most of the raison d'être for this project and life also got in the way, so it never got off the ground.
So what I'm trying to say is that I'm very happy to see a likewise low-level series come to life :)

All the best,
Jeroen
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Hello, world!
Welcome! Its good to have you here, and I'm excited to continue working through your course. I figured this would be a perfect project to continue learning Rust.

Thanks for the awesome series.
19 posts
Hello, world!
Edited by Maykeye on
Hi all

Oh man, I feel like I haven't used forums for 15 years or so.

This brings back some memories.

CaptainKraft
Welcome! Its good to have you here, and I'm excited to continue working through your course. I figured this would be a perfect project to continue learning Rust.

Every project is a perfect project to learn rust (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
Jason
2 posts
Hello, world!
Hi everyone.

Per, don't forget to add links to this forum into the Github repo :)
Per Vognsen
49 posts / 1 project
Hello, world!
Edited by Per Vognsen on
I think I did? The README, FAQ and Guidelines files should all have links to the forums now, and it's emphasized that the forums here are the appropriate venue for open-ended discussions. I also prepended a "Discuss at <url>" to all the YouTube video descriptions and disabled comments there.

Let me know if I missed anything. Pull requests are very welcome for this kind of thing. :)
Jason
2 posts
Hello, world!
My mistake. I expected it at the bottom of the post and it was on the second line. Oops :)
Per Vognsen
49 posts / 1 project
Hello, world!
The stream will be off tomorrow. I wrote up some notes here, with recommendations for additional ideas for anyone who blasts through their homework and want to do more:

https://github.com/pervognsen/bitwise/blob/master/notes/streams.md
Tucker Kolpin
8 posts
Hello, world!
Hello!
Jim R. Didriksen
63 posts
Hello, world!
Hi!!
Raytio
56 posts / 1 project
Hello, world!