Bitwise»Forums
Mathijs
1 posts
C debugging variable names
Edited by Mathijs on Reason: Initial post
Hi there,

First of all, thank you for doing this series.
I find systems programming fascinating but its really hard to get into using online resources.
This is the only project I have found so far that goes "down to the metal" while still being easy to follow.

The C feature that allows you to manipulate the pre-processor and change the file/line info for debugging is really cool; I never heard of it before.
If I understand it correctly, variable names in the watch window "just work" because they are the same in the generated C code as in ion?
Do you think this will become a problem in the future when the compiler needs to rename variables or functions (i.e. to support function overloading or local variable shadowing)?
Per Vognsen
49 posts / 1 project
C debugging variable names
Edited by Per Vognsen on
Yes, the names line up because they're translated 1:1 right now.

There should never be any problem with non-global symbols since those won't need renaming. I mentioned in the day 14 stream that once we add support for packages we'll prefixing generated global symbols in the C code with the package name. I still don't think that'll be too confusing. Probably 99% of global symbols are functions and you'll mostly be seeing their renamed symbols on the call stack where the prefixing is self-explanatory. For global variables, as the programmer using the debugger, you have to know that it's happening and take it into account when typing names into watch expressions--it should just be a minor inconvenience. For what it's worth, the same issue exists when debugging C++ code with namespaces. The debugger isn't namespace scope aware, so watch expressions that reference symbols in a C++ namespace have to use the fully qualified namespace path, e.g. foo::bar::baz rather than baz.