Bitwise»Forums
Matt Davies
4 posts
Gaps in Youtube videos
Edited by Matt Davies on Reason: Initial post
Hi,

I've started following your videos (very interesting btw) and was dismayed to see large amounts of work missing from the youtube videos. I usually code along side you while watching but hit a road block between the Day 4 extra video and Day 5. Just at the beginning of day 5 I could tell a lot of parser code had gone in. Should I expect there to be gaps in Youtube while I try to catch up so I can watch your Twitch stream? If this is so, my plan of coding beside you might be a bad one.

Thanks.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Gaps in Youtube videos
I don't follow bitwise but from the project description on this site:
Most code will be written off stream, but every new line of code will be covered during code reviews at the beginning of each stream.
Matt Mascarenhas
135 posts / 1 project
Annotator, supper gatherer and slammer of thunderous high fives
Gaps in Youtube videos
And you'll find that these code reviews are described "Review..." in the episode guide, e.g. "Review the AST printing".

One way you could do it is by getting the gist of the code from the review and then working through the implementation yourself. That way you will have the high-level decisions made for you – e.g. now print the abstract syntax tree – and may get a feel for the techniques you use effectively and the mistakes you make – both of which will surely differ from Per's – and so put yourself in a decent position to develop as a programmer.
Matt Davies
4 posts
Gaps in Youtube videos
Thanks for the reply. I write compilers slightly differently to how Per does it (for example, my AST is the s-expressions), so I have no interest in figuring what he might do himself. I just enjoy typing the code while he does. I was hoping for more handmade hero style where ALL the coding is re-watchable on You Tube, especially for people who only just discovered his work and want to catch up.

So I think I just have to be more passive and just watch. This is a shame. But I understand if he can't put all his streams on youtube. That takes a lot of work.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Gaps in Youtube videos
Edited by Simon Anciaux on Reason: typo
I may be wrong but I think he uploads all the streams, but he doesn't write all the code during the streams.
Matt Davies
4 posts
Gaps in Youtube videos
I understand. Thanks.
John Cleary
3 posts
Gaps in Youtube videos
I find using the ability in Github to view differences and history along with the tags helpful. Also if you are using Windows you can install TortoiseGit and use its tools to compare version differences with highlighting.